|Season 2, Episode 1|
|Air date||28 Feb. 2014|
|Written by||Bryan Fuller, Steve Lightfoot|
|Directed by||Tim Hunter|
|Hannibal (2013) episodes|
Will Graham attempts to recover his lost memories. Meanwhile, the FBI finds dead bodies in the buried in a river dam.
Jack Crawford comes into Hannibal's kitchen/ After staring him down, the two engage in a life and death fight. After an extended struggle, Hannibal stabs a shard of glass into Jack's neck. Bleeding, Jack tries to make an escape with Hannibal in pursuit.
Twelve earlier, Jack and Hannibal have dinner as they mourn over Will's state mind and the FBI investigation against Jack for his handling of Will. At the FBI headquarters, Jack learns that is Alana who sent the report. FBI investigator Katie Prunell pressures her to recant her report. Alana is unsure where her loyalties, but she ultimately refuses to recant.
A report comes to the FBI where bodies are found in the river. Jack calls Hannibal in to examine the bodies. Hannibal looks at the resin covered bodies and concludes that the killer is trying to preserve the bodies as models. He tells Jack that the bodies in the river are the bodies that the killer had rejected. The FBI team finds other people who are also missing. Without any leads, Beverly Katz takes the photos of the missing person to Will so he can find a pattern. Will looks through the photos and points out that the killer is murdering people to get a color palate of skin color.
Elsewhere, the killer finds another body to use for his color palate. He follows a man named Roland Umber. One night, the killer sets off Roland's car alarm. Investigating what had happened with his car, Roland is kidnapped by the killer.
Will believes that he has memories that will incriminate Hannibal. Having forgotten them because of his illness, Will asks Alana to hypnotize him to help recover his memories. Will gets a vision where he is sitting at a colorful feast. In front of him is a plate with the ear of Abigail Hobbs. After being hypnotized, Will sits in his cell eating his dinner. He then remembers Hannibal force feeding Abigail's ear while he is having a seizure. Having seen that insight, Will spits his meatloaf out.
Elsewhere, Roland wakes up to find himself naked and sewed into a mural of dead bodies. Realizing that he is not trapped in a nightmare, he screams in horror.
- Hugh Dancy as Will Graham
- Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter
- Caroline Dhavernas as Dr. Alana Bloom
- Hettienne Park as Beverly Katz
- Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawford
- Scott Thompson as Jimmy Price
- Aaron Abrams as Brian Zeller
- Gillian Anderson as Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier
- Cynthia Nixon as Kade Prurnell
- Raúl Esparza as Dr. Frederick Chilton
- Ryan Field as Roland Umber
- Patrick Garrow as James Grey
- Jonathan Tucker as Matthew Brown
- Kalen Davidson as Stag Man
- Eli Ham as Parks & Rec #1
- Kevin Whalen as Parks & Rec #2
- Christina Schimmel as Victim #1 (uncredited)
- "Kaiseki" refers to a traditional Japanese multi-course dinner and the skills needed to prepare one.
- Since the episode would begin with many talking scenes, Bryan Fuller felt that adding the fight scene in episode 13 of the second season would give more energy to the episode. When asked by AV Club if he felt bad for giving away the ending, Bryan told the interviewer that there was enough surprises in the season so he did not feel guilty about giving that Jack would fight Hannibal.
- Hannibal Lector: "I never feel guilty about eating anything."
- Jack Crawford: "I can't quite place the fish."
- Hannibal Lector: "He was a flounder."
- Will Graham: "I am not the intelligent psychopath you are looking for."