After Beverly's body is found in the observatory, Will devises a plan to avenge her.
|Season 2, Episode 5|
|Air date||28 Mar. 2014|
|Written by||Bryan Fuller|
|Directed by||David Semel|
Freddie gets a phone call from an anonymous person to check the observatory. She heads to the observatory and is horrified to find the body of Beverly Katz. She then calls the police soon after. Jack arrives shortly and is shaken to find his agent dead. With no other option, he turns to Will. The institution straps Will in and takes him to go see Beverly so he can examine the crime scene. Once there, Will comes to the conclusion that Beverly was killed by the Chesapeake Ripper. He also concludes that the copycat killer and the Chesapeake are the same person. Though he does not explain his thought process to Jack, preferring that he come to the conclusion himself.
Examining Beverly's body, the FBI discovers that Beverly's kidneys have been replaced by James Grey's kidneys. In Chilton's institution, Will arranges to have a meeting with Dr. Gideon to discover who the ripper is. He finds no answer though. Will requests a meeting with Freddie. He then agrees to give her exclusive rights to his story in exchange for allowing him to contact his admirer who killed the bailiff. Freddie makes a news story with Will's request. The killer reveals himself as a nurse in the institution and offers his help. Will asks the nurse to kill Hannibal. The nurse ambushes Hannibal and knocks out with a tranquilizer. He cuts Hannibal's wrists and restrains his arms. He puts a noose around Hannibal's neck and balances him precariously on a bucket.
Dr. Alana Bloom visits Gideon. Since Gideon has an affinity for Dr. Bloom, he tells her Will is planning to kill Hannibal with an assassin. Alana contacts Jack and they begin looking for Hannibal. Jack picks up Hannibal's location from Hannibal's cellphone and races there. In the pool room, Jack shoots the nurse, but he is still able to kick the bucket. Before Hannibal chokes to death, Jack catches him, saving his life.
- Hugh Dancy as Will Graham
- Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter
- Caroline Dhavernas as Dr. Alana Bloom
- Hettienne Park as Beverly Katz
- Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawford
- Scott Thompson as Jimmy Price
- Aaron Abrams as Brian Zeller
- Eddie Izzard as Dr. Abel Gideon
- Raúl Esparza as Dr. Frederick Chilton
- Lara Jean Chorostecki as Freddie Lounds
- Jonathan Tucker as Matthew Brown
- Mukozuke is a Japanese word for a porcelain used to distract a guest of a unpleasant cut of meat such as eel or fish.
- Hetienne Park's character, Beverly Katz, was originally supposed to die in the first season. However, showrunner Bryan Fuller postponed her character's death because he felt that her character's death would have more impact if the audience was given more time to connect with her. Fuller also believed that her character did not have much interaction in the first season and used the second season to flesh out her character.
- Last appearance of Beverly Katz..
- Will was supossed to have cough up Beverly's ear in the first season instead of Abigail's.
- Originally, the nurse at the institution was a relay between Will and Freddie, who were passing messages back and forth between each other. However, the writing team felt that it made the story too complicated. So, they removed the scenes and made the nurse the secret admirer who killed the bailiff in the third episode of the second season. This change is also a reference to a scene from the movie Red Dragon. In the movie, Will questions whether the Red Dragon serial killer is a nurse since that would be a good cover for a murder in a hospital.
- "You're a great friend, Hannibal."
- ―Jack Crawford[src]
- "He is the devil, Mr. Graham. He is smoke. You'll never catch the ripper. He won't be caught. If you want him, you will have to kill him."
- ―Dr. Abel Gideon[src]
- "I want you to kill Hannibal Lector."
- ―Will Graham[src]
- "[To Dr. Alana Bloom] You're like catnip for killers."
- ―Dr. Alana Bloom[src]