|Season 4, Episode 16|
|Series||The Walking Dead|
|Air date||30 Mar 2014|
|Written by||Scott M. Gimple, Angela Kang|
|Directed by||Michelle MacLaren|
|The Walking Dead episodes|
On the way to Terminus, Rick, Carl and Michonne are attacked by Joe and his gang. After killing them, Rick and his group make it to Terminus.
Rick, Michonne, and Carl are scavenging for food in the woods. Rick checks his snares and find a little rabbit. He teaches Carl how to set up a slip knot. Then, a man's scream is heard nearby. Carl rushes to help, but Rick restrains him once they see a group of Walkers surrounding the man. Rick tells Carl the man's fate is sealed, and he has his group run back to the railroad. On the tracks, Rick and his gang kill a small group of Walkers that was feasting on a body.
Later that night, Rick and the gang rest by an abandoned car. He and Michonne cook the little rabbit while Carl sleeps in the car. Rick shares that now they all they talk about is food. Then, the two hear a branch snap. Rick and Michonne do not sense anything until it's too late. Joe and his men surround Rick's group at gun point and demand retribution because Rick had strangled Lou in a bathroom. Daryl arrives, and he is shocked that the man that Joe was tracking was Rick. Daryl tries to convince them that Rick and his group are good people. Joe has Daryl beaten for siding with Rick. Joe orders his men to beat Daryl to teach him a lesson. Joe tells Rick that his men would beat Daryl to death, kill Michonne, kill his boy, and then him. Rick feels cornered as he watches Daryl get beat while his son tries to break free from Dan. Rick slams his head against Joe, barely dodging the bullet. He fights back against Joe who kicks him down. Then, Rick lunges at Joe and bites his jugular out. With the others stunned at Rick's actions, Michonne grabs Tony and forces his gun to shoot himself. She shoots the men who were beating Daryl. Dan threatens to slit Carl's throat. Rick intimidates the man. Dan frees Carl, but he gets stabbed to death by Rick. Michonne tries to cover Carl. However, Carl sees his father giving into his anger.
The next morning, the group continue along the tracks until they near Terminus. Not knowing who is waiting for them at the end, Rick and the others head into the woods to take a peek at who they are facing. Pairing off, Michonne and Carl are a lone in the woods for a bit. Michonne takes this time to tell Carl that her friend and boyfriend were killed by walkers when their camp was overrun with walkers.She tells him that after their deaths, she was lost until Rick, Andrea and Carl brought her back.She then tells Carl not to be afraid of his father. Later, the group sneaks in over a fence in the back. They meet the residents of Terminus who ask them to put them down their weapons. When Rick notices Glenn's pocket watch on one of the men, he takes the man hostage, demanding answers as to how he got the watch. A gun fight ensues between the two parties. Skillfully, the residents of Terminus herd Rick's group to a courtyard near a shipping crate labeled "A." They order the Rick's group inside the crate at gunpoint. Inside, Rick and his group are reunited with Maggie and the others. After meeting Abraham, Rick vows to strike back.
- The episode title "A" refers to the shipping crate that the cast finds themselves in at the end of the episode.
- First appearance of Gareth.
- Last Appearance of Joe.
- In the comics, Rick's last lines involved two swear words; "fucking" and "motherfuckers". In the TV series, the offending words are censored.
- Robert Kirkman has stated that the reason there was no major deaths in this season finale is because he and the writers did not want to make the series too formulaic.
- "It's not on you Daryl. You being back with us here. Now. That's everything. You're my brother."
- ―Rick Grimes[src]
- "I could have killed them, but I let them turn. I made it so they couldn't bite, couldn't scratch. I tied chains around their necks. It was insane. It was sick. It felt felt like what I had deserved, dragging them around so that I would always know. I found out that they kept me safe. They hid me. The walkers didn't see me anymore.I was just another monster. And I was, me, I was gone for a long time. But then Andrea brought me back. Your dad brought me back.You did."
- "I’m just another monster, too."
- ―Carl Grimes[src]
- "Well, I bet Albert is on perimeter watch."
- "The more people become a part of us, we get stronger. That’s why we put up the signs. That’s how we survive."
- "Teach him, fellas. Teach him all the way."