Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Season 4, Episode 1|
|Series||Game of Thrones|
|Air date||6 Apr 2014|
|Written by||David Benioff,D.B. Weiss|
|Directed by||David Benioff, D.B. Weiss|
|Mhysa||The Lion and the Rose|
|Game of Thrones episodes|
Jaime Lannister is having trouble adjusting to his old life in King's Landing; Jon is tried for the murder of Qhorin Halfhand; Arya meets Polliver for the first time after the death of Robb; Daenerys learns that she cannot control her dragons completely.
Tywin Lannister takes Ned Stark's sword and melts it down into two golden swords. Then he hands one of them to Jaime and commands him to return to Casterly Rock as its lord. With Joffrey's discharge, Jaime could be allowed to leave the Kingsguard and sire children. Jaime rejects his fathers's order and maintains that he would rather stay in the Kingsguard, a decision that angers his father. As the day goes on, Jaime continues having trouble reconnecting with his family. Cersei is angry that he was gone for too long and Joffrey mocks Jaime for getting captured in the first place.
Outside the castle, Tyrion Lannister waits for Doran Martell, the prince of Dorne, so he can welcome him into capital. Martell's soldiers arrive to explain that Doran's brother, Oberyn, has arrived in his place. Knowing Oberyn's reputation, Tyrion finds the lord in a brothel. As they talk, Oberyn reminds Tyrion that his sister was wedded to the Mad King and she was murdered by the Lannisters in the rebellion. Still upset about her death, he threatens Tyrion and his family. Later, Tyrion finds Sansa in the garden grieving over the death of her family. He offers his help, but Sansa pushes him away. In Tyrion's room, Shae tries to seduce Tyrion, but he rejects her advances because of his marriage. Furious, Shae leaves the room and unknowlingly passes by one of Cersei's spies listens to them.
Later in the garden, Sansa is approached by a man named Ser Dontos, who Joffrey had made the royal fool on his name day. Grateful for saving his life, Dontos hands Sansa his necklace, which is a family heirloom. Touched, Sansa agrees to wear it.
In Castle Black, Jon is tried for killing Qhorin Halfhand and breaking his vows. Rather than lying, Jon gives the High Council every detail what he saw including Mance Rayder's plan to attack the wall. After hearing Jon's testimony, Maester Aemon decides to let Jon go free.
Daenerys watches as her dragons fight over the carcass of a cow. She tries to calm one of them, but Drogon snaps at her. Seeing Daenerys taken back by the incident, Jorah tells her that no one can tame the dragons, not even their mother. Daenerys continues her march towards Meereen. Suddenly, the army stops as they spot a child hung up on a cross. Despite being advised to go through the pass after the bodies are buried, Daenerys decides that she must see all of them before they are buried.
Near a inn, Arya spots Polliver, the man who killed Lommy. Against the Hound's wishes, she enters the inn. Inside, The Hound is greeted by Polliver. After a short conversation, The Hound and Polliver's group start fighting. Arya slashes Polliver and reclaims her old sword, Needle. She reenacts the moments before Lommy was killed by Polliver and then stabs him through the throat. Arya and the Hound leave with a horse and her sword.
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
- Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
- Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
- Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell
- Rory McCann as Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane
- Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister
- John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
- Jerome Flynn as Bronn
- Sibel Kekilli as Shae
- Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont
- Ian McElhinney as Barristan Selmy
- Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth
- Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell
- Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
- Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
- Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister
- Octavia Selena Alexandru as Child of the Forest
- Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Mace Tyrell
- Luke Barnes as Rast
- Andy Beckwith as Rorge
- Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Gregor Clegane
- Richard Buick as Tyrell Wedding Guest
- Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
- Dean-Charles Chapman as Tommen Baratheon
- Gabrielle Dempsey as Innkeeper's Daughter
- Michiel Huisman as Daario Naharis
- Andy Kellegher as Polliver
- Yuriy Kolokolnikov as Styr
- Anton Lesser as Qyburn
- Stuart Martin as Savage
- Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell
- The title of the episode refers to Ned Stark's sword "Ice" crafted from Valarian steel and Needle, a sword gifted to Arya Stark that she reclaims in this episode. "Ice" is melted down and re-crafted into two new swords.
- First appearance of Prince Oberyn Martell, Ellaria Sand, Blackmont, Deziel Dalt, Styr, Lowell, and Morgan.
- Last Appearance of Lowell and Polliver.
- In the books Prince Oberyn Martel is greeted upon his arrival by Tyrion Lannister. In the show Tyrion first meets him in a brothel house at King's Landing instead.
- In the books Brienne is arrested when she arrives at King's Landing. They mistakenly think she killed Renly Baratheon. In the show she is seen freely roaming the grounds and confides in Margaery Tyrell about what really happened to Renly.
- The golden hand that Cersie has made for Jaime happens much earlier in the show than in the books.
- Cersei's spy overhearing Tyrion and Shae's revealing conversation is a scene added to the show that isn't in the books.
- In the books, when Jon Snow returns, the Night's Watch is controlled by a blacksmith named Donal Noye instead of the high council. Unlike the TV series, most of the high council is killed in the massacre at Craster's Keep.
- "Tell your father that I am here. and tell him that the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts."
- ―Oberyn Nymeros Martell[src]
- "They're dragons, Khalessi. They can never be tamed. Not even by their mother."
- ―Jorah Mormont[src]
- "I lie awake staring at the canopy, thinking about how they died."
- ―Sansa Stark[src]
- "I’d rather have no brains and two balls."
- ―Daario Naharis[src]
- "A one-handed man with no family needs all the help he can get."
- ―Tywin Lannister[src]
- "If the Mountain killed my sister, then your father gave the order."
- ―Oberyn Nymeros Martell[src]
- Polliver: "These are the king's colors. No one is standing in his way now, which means no one is standing in ours."
- Sandor Clegane: "Fuck the king."
- Arya Stark: "Something wrong with your leg, boy?"
- Polliver: "What...What do you mean?"
- Arya Stark: "Can you walk? Have I got to carry you?"
- Polliver: "Carry me?"
- Arya Stark: "Fine little blade. Maybe I'll pick my teeth with it."