|Aliases||The Slayer, The Chosen One, B, Buffster, Anne|
|Birthday||January 19, 1981|
|TV Show||Buffy The Vampire Slayer|
|Film||Buffy The Vampire Slayer|
|Credit||Sarah Michelle Gellar, Kristy Swanson|
One of the last Vampire Slayers activated in the 20th Century, Buffy Summers was one of the few Potentials never identified by the Watchers Council. Thus unlike the vast majority of other Slayer Potentials, she never received any indoctrination or training prior to her activation.
Originally a vain, shallow, and superficial cheerleader, she ultimately became one of the most significant (and notorious) Slayers of all time. She was responsible for saving the world on several occasions; splitting the Slayer Line in twain with her death and subsequent resurrection; defeating several notable vampires such as Lothos and the Master; and having a romantic affiar with two separate vampires, Angel and Spike.
She is also the current longest living Slayer and credited with the creation of the Slayers Organization following the destruction of the Watchers Council and the activation of every single potential Slayer on Earth; leading a literal army of Slayers against the First Evil and various other supernatural threats.
She was later portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar in the 1997 television series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was a television adaptation of the film of the same name in the premiere episode, "Welcome to the Hellmouth" on March 10, 1997. Gellar would go on to reprise her role throughout the series run and is most closely identified with the character by fans thanks to the popularity of the TV series which far exceeded the original film.
Personality and Traits
As a Slayer, Buffy is gifted with supernaturally enhanced strength and speed. In addition, Buffy was regarded as being exceptionally agile and it is suspected that her past training as a cheerleader is responsible for her talent for acrobatics which she has combined with fighting techniques and styles. Further, Buffy was gifted with supernatural proficiency in a wide variety of combat styles, hand to-hand combat techniques, and weapon skills which is an aspect of the Slayer itself, inheriting and 'remembering' each previous Slayer's combat abilities.
- City of
- The Bachelor Party
- I Will Remember You
- Just Rewards
- Soul Purpose
- When Josh Whedon created the character of Buffy, he deliberately named her because it was a name which he imagined that "no one could take seriously" and with the term 'B-movies'.
- Creator Josh Whedon proclaimed that he heavily based Buffy Summers on the comic book heroine Kitty Pryde of the X-Men, detailing her journey as an adolescent girl finding out that she had great powers while being thrust into a world of danger against her will.
- During the Buffy TV series, Xander Harris would nickname the protagonists the "Scooby Gang" after the cartoon characters. Ironically enough, Sarah Michelle Gellar would portray Daphne Blake, a long-time member of the Scoobies in a series of live action movies.
- "All I want to do is graduate from high school, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater, and die." ―Buffy Summers to Merrick; Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- "To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they're just gonna kill you. Why am I still talking to you?" ―Buffy Summers to Rupert Giles; Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Welcome to the Hellmouth"
- "You guys are going to have a prom. The kind of prom that everyone should have. I'm going to give you all a nice, fun, normal evening―if I have to kill every single person on the face of the earth to do it." ―Buffy Summers; Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "The Prom"'
- "If the apocalypse comes, beep me." ―Buffy Summers; Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date"
- "I so don't want to deal with Spike right now. The guy is really starting to bug me in that special "I want to shove something wooden through his heart" kind of way."