|Film||Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope|
Chewbacca is a member of the alien race known as Wookies. His best friend is Han Solo, captain of the legendary Millennium Falcon, serving as the ships co-pilot. His vocal cords only allow him to speak his native language, and enjoys the reputation of his race's notorious short temper.
Personality and Traits
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
- During early filming of Star Wars Episode IV, studio executives were very unhappy with Chewbacca's appearance. They suggested that Chewbacca's costume be redesigned as they felt it unbecoming that he was "naked". For a more family friendly design, they suggested he have a pair of shorts.
- The name "wookie" for Chewbacca's alien race was inadvertently coined by San Francisco DJ Terry McGovern in 1971 while he was working for George Lucas' THX 1138 film. While saying his lines, he blundered and proclaimed, "I think I ran over a wookie back there," and afterwards said that he made up the word. Lucas remembered it and thought it was cute.