Secret Service Agent Frank Horrigan is an aging dinosaur, a relic who spends his days tracking down counterfeiters and crank threats to the President. Busy work until his inevitable retirement.
But once upon a time, it was very different. Once, he was the Service's best and brightest. Once, Horrigan was the Lead Agent on the Detail; personally protecting President John F. Kennedy. But mostly he is now remembered as the agent who leapt onto the limousine after the fatal shot to try and shield the President that fateful day in Dallas, Texas. Horrigan remembers that day as his greatest failure, believing that if he had reacted just a split second sooner ... he might have saved JFK's life.
Now another President is in danger and Frank is determined not to fail again.
Mitch Leary is an obsessed and bitterly disillusioned former CIA assassin. Once, he was their best and deadliest. Now, he wants to be heard. Now, he wants the CIA to recognize what they did to him, for the government to regret betraying him. To make a statement like no other. He has the means, the training, and the determination. And he is determined to kill the President.
Now these two driven men will face each other down in a final showdown. One trained to protect, even at the cost of his own life and body. The other, trained to kill. Both of them in the line of fire to see which of them is better at their job.
- Clint Eastwood as Agent Frank Horrigan
- John Malkovich as Mitch Leary
- Rene Russo as Lilly Raines
- Dylan McDermott as Al D'Andrea
- Gary Cole as Bill Watts
- Fred Thompson as Harry Sargent
- John Mahoney as Director Sam Campagna
- Gregory Alan Williams as Matt Wilder
- Jim Curley as President of the United States
- Sally Hughes as First Lady of the United States
- Tobin Bell as Mendoza
- Clyde Kusatsu as Agent Jack Okura
- Steve Hytner as Agent Tony Carducci
- Patrika Darbo as Pam Magnus
- John Heard as Prof. Riger
- Joshua Malina as Agent Chavez
- Steve Railsback as Agent David Coppinger