|TV Show||Batman: The Animated Series|
|Film||Batman: Mask of the Phantasm|
For this clown, laughter is no laughing matter! The self-proclaimed Clown Prince of Crime, the Joker terrorizes Gotham City with his frequent madcap rampages of chaos, murder, and mayhem! One of the most prominent enemies of the Batman, he jealously professes to be the Dark Knight's greatest archnemesis, the ying to his yang, and the only one worthy of finally killing him.
First appearing on November 13, 1992 in Batman: The Animated Series episode "Christmas with the Joker", the Joker was voice acted by Mark Hamill who would go on to reprise his role in virtually every single TV series and several related animated movies in the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) for well over a decade, creating one of the most defining and memorable performances of the Clown Prince of Crime.
The Joker is a major supervillain in the DC Comics, first appearing in Batman #1 which was published on April 25, 1940. Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson are credited as being responsible for his creation. He has been considered to be THE principal arch-nemesis to the Dark Knight for decades and the most recognizable as well as being widely considered to be one of the greatest supervillains of all time as the Clown Prince of Crime.
Like his nemesis who uses bats, the Joker employs his own symbolism revolving around clowns, comedy, playing cards and his warped and sadistic sense of humor and mad genius have made him a potent adversary for the Dark Knight Detective along with his bleached white skin, shocking green hair, and macabre death head's grin make him one of the most visually distinctive.
The Joker has been a defining part of the mythology and history of the Batman for decades ever since his appearance. For the most part, he has never had a definitive origin story.
The Joker's identity is a mystery and at times, he has claimed various different versions which are contradictory. Some indicate that he was a failed comedian forced into a life of crime; others state that he was a former Gotham hoodlum turned crime boss who hid behind a veneer of respectability and high-priced lawyers; another history indicates that he was abused by his father with a runaway mother which turned him into a life of crime; while yet another origin proclaims that he was a brilliant but sadistic genius.
The Joker admits that even he doesn't know for sure which is real and which is false but typically all of his stories involve the Batman and the Ace Chemical Plant where he was being pursued by the Dark Knight only to to fall into a vat of chemicals. The strange mixture would turn his skin chalk white, dye his hair green, and cause his facial muscles to be pulled into a fixed rictus. Some stories have indicated that the shock of his new bizarre appearance caused him to lose his mind while others suggest that the Joker is actually sane but like his archnemesis who cultivates his reputation to make criminals superstitious and fearful of him; the Joker does the same by employing bizarre and convoluted campaigns to make himself appear to be insane but is actually a carefully cultivated mask of randomness and unpredictability.
Among his more memorable heinous acts have included murdering of Jason Todd, the second Robin; paralyzing Barbara Gordon by shooting her in the spine, ending her career as Batgirl; and murdering Commissioner Gordon's second wife Sarah Essen.
The Joker has made numerous frequent appearances in various films, animated cartoons, and television series starring the Batman over the decades.
Personality and Traits
- Holiday Knights
- Joker's Millions
- Old Wounds
- Legends of the Dark Knight
- Mad Love
- Beware the Creeper
- World's Finest, Part 1
- World's Finest, Part 2
- World's Finest, Part 3
- The Big Leagues
- Injustice for All, Part 1
- Injustice for All, Part 2
- Wild Cards, Part 1
- Wild Cards, Part 2
- Although Mark Hamil has been one of the most defining portrayals of the Joker for over a decade, he was never originally slated to portray the Clown Prince of Crime despite his lobbying for the role. Originally, veteran actor Tim Curry was intended to serve as the voice actor for the Joker however producer Paul Dini felt that Curry did not fit in with their vision of the Joker as a more chaotic and playfully cartoonish villain. Hamil had just completed a minor role as the slimy businessman Ferris Boyle in Batman: The Animated Series episode "Heart of Ice" and had impressed the directors so that he became their number one pick as a replacement for Curry.
- "Don't get cute with me, Red! He's ripping me off! I'll protest... Yeah, I'll sue! Then I'll rip his lungs out! And I will too!" ―Joker to Poison Ivy; Batman: The Animated Series, "Joker's Wild"
- "Why can't he ever STAY dead!" ―Joker about the Batman's continuing survival; Batman: The Animated Series, "Joker's Wild"
- You're right, Harley. Fish are disgusting. I think I'll start using my toxin on cattle. Joker Burgers! Ha! Talk about a happy meal!
- Joker (Adventures of Batman)
- Joker (Batman: The Brave and the Bold)
- Jester (Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths)
- Joker (Legoverse)
- Joker (Batman: Assault on Arkham)