A 1985 action/adventurer/thriller film directed by Guy Hamilton. Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins... was a live film adaptation of the best selling and longest running pulp fiction novel series, "The Destroyer" by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy. First published in 1971, the series featured a special government agent, Remo Williams who was forcibly recruited to serve as an assassin who would execute threats to the United States outside of the law and Constitution. This film was intended to be the first of a film franchise but poor sales resulted in the cancellation of the sequels.
A remake of the movie simply titled The Destroyer is currently in development.
A tough street cop is apparently killed in the line of duty. Awakening, he discovers that his face has been surgically altered and he has been forcibly recruited by a super-secret government agency known as CURE as their assassin and is renamed as Remo Williams.
Trained in a unique ancient martial art known as "Sinanju" by a sarcastic, misogynistic ancient master known as Chiun, Remo will become the perfect unarmed weapon.
- Fred Ward as Remo Williams
- Joel Grey as Chiun
- Wilford Brimley as Harold Smith
- J.A. Preston as Conn MacCleary
- George Coe as General Scott Watson
- Charles Cioffi as George Grove
- Kate Mulgrew as Major Rayner Fleming
- Michael Pataki as Jim Wilson
- Reginald VelJohnson as Ambulance Driver
- Jon Polito as Zack
- Gene LeBell as Red
- Sebastian Ligarde as Pvt. Johnson
- Tom McBride as Jim
- Suzanne Snyder as Nurse
- William Hickey as Coney Island Barker
- Patrick Kilpatrick as Stone
- Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins... was also released as Remo Williams and the Secrets of Sinanju and more simply as Remo: The Adventure Begins... and Remo: The First Adventure in certain parts of the United States and on some US movie posters. It was also released as Remo Williams: Unarmed and Dangerous in the United Kingdom.