With his lackluster love life, Charlie MacKenzie has developed an extreme phobia of romantic commitment. His family and friends are convinced that he is so phobic that he will even go out of his way to create excuses behind his inability to commit.
But when Charlie finds the perfect woman Harriet and falls hard for her, his family and friends are disgusted when Charlie finds circumstantial evidence that convinces him that his perfect fiancee may actually be a serial ax murderess and breaks up with her. However when his long-time friend Tony reveals that the real serial ax murderess is under arrest and couldn't possibly be Harriet; Charlie is horrified and realizes that he has just thrown away the greatest love of his life and vows to overcome his phobia.
Desperately wooing and winning Harriet back, Charlie rushes off with his new bride on their honeymoon while Tony discovers that the arresting officers made a mistake and Charlie might not have been quite so paranoid about Harriet after all...
- Mike Myers as Charlie MacKenzie, Stuart MacKenzie
- Nancy Travis as Harriet Michaels
- Anthony LaPaglia as Tony Giardino
- Amanda Plummer as Rose Michaels
- Alan Arkin as Police Captain
- Michael Richards as Insensitive Man
- Brenda Fricker as May MacKenzie
- Matt Doherty as William "Heed" MacKenzie
- Charles Grodin as Commandeered Driver
- Phil Hartman as John "Vickie" Johnson
- Debi Mazar as Susan
- Steven Wright as Pilot