|Film||The Amazing Spider-Man|
High school science nerd Peter Parker is bitten by a genetically modified spider which causes him to become a wall-crawling, web-slinging, wise cracking superhero known over the world as the Amazing Spider-Man! And the world will never be the same!
Spider-Man is a major superhero based upon the Marvel comic book character created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko who debuted in Amazing Fantasy #15 in early September 1962.
According to Stan Lee, Spider-Man almost never happened. His editor Martin Goodman was dead set against the idea of the character entirely, believing that far too many people disliked spiders and for months the script languished in his desk drawer, unpublished.
Lee was finally able to convince Goodman to sign off on the idea due to the fact that the comic magazine, Amazing Fantasy was about to be cancelled and Goodman agreed that there was nothing to lose in allowing Spider-Man to make his first appearance in the final issue of Amazing Fantasy. It would not however be his last as this issue was the company's most popular and highest selling comic book and credit was given to the unusual and controversial hero within.
The rest as they say is history and so Spider-Man was quickly awarded his own comic book series titled, "The Amazing Spider-Man" in homage to the original magazine. This series was the longest continually published comic book series in publication until it's cancellation in 2012, surpassing both Action Comics and Detective Comics from DC with 700 issues.
Orphaned at a young age, Peter Parker is raised by his elderly aunt and uncle when he attended a science expo as a teenager. A spider was exposed to a massive quantity of radiation and bit Peter, bestowing upon him with the proportionate strength and speed of a spider and the ability to adhere to surfaces. Peter decided immediately to capitalize on his new powers and created a flashy costume and proceeded to become a minor television celebrity as Spider-Man. However, his fame got to his head and cocky, he let a burglar run past him as he felt it wasn't his problem. Shortly afterwards, his Uncle Ben was murdered by a home intruder.
Enraged, Peter hunted down the man and recognizes him to his shock as the same burglar that he allowed to escape. Ever since that day Peter has understood that with great power comes great responsibility and since then he has humbly served as Spider-Man to atone for his failure.
As one of the most popular, prolific, and commercially successful comic book characters in history, Spider-Man has grown in fame and has starred in a variety of movies and TV shows. He is most often identified as the mascot of Marvel Comics and their most recognizable icon. Spider-Man is regarded as being one of the most influential superheroes alongside Superman and Batman who helped shape the genre.
Personality and Traits
- You know what it is I love about being Spider-Man? Everything!
- "I know things have been difficult lately and I'm sorry about that. I think I know what you're feeling. Ever since you were a little boy, you've been living with so many ... unresolved things. Well, take it from an old man. Those things send us down a road... they make us who we are. And if anyone's destined for greatness; it's you, son. You owe the world your gifts. You just have to figure out how to use them and know that wherever they take you, we'll always be here. So, come on home, Peter. You're my hero... and I love you." —Ben Parker's last voicemail to Spider-Man; The Amazing Spider-Man
- "Knock, knock. Mr. Criminal? Hey, my name is Spider-Man. You can call me Web-Head, you can call me Amazing, just don't call me late for dinner. You get it?" —Spider-Man to the Rhino; The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man 1976)
- Spider-Man (Toei Spider-Man)
- Spider-Man (Spider-Man 1981)
- Spider-Man (Spider-Man Unlimited)
- Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2002)
- Spider-Man (Spider-Man: New Animated Series)
- Spider-Man (Spectacular Spider-Man)